|VOLUNTEER PROFILE||LEVEL OF FITNESS|
|A friendly, outgoing person aged 15 -18 years willing to interact confidently with visitors to provide information, and follows direction well. This is not an animal care based role.||Average|
The Teen Volunteer program consists of a team of friendly young people who attend the sanctuary during weekends and school holidays, to welcome, inform and assist visitors to enjoy the attractions. This is a twelve month program only. You must be a person who is comfortable talking to visitors as this is the major part of the role. There will be some animal interaction, but major focus is on providing friendly visitor contact. The teen volunteer program operates each weekend during term, on school holidays and on public holidays. Each shift, you will work under the supervision of a Duty Volunteer.
- Assist the daily lorikeet feeding sessions
- Provide visitors with information about park attractions
- Help clean the kangaroo petting paddock
- Feeding out browse at the Koala Photos exhibit.
- Assist visitors to be seated and exit daily shows and attractions
Choose from two shifts on either Saturday or Sunday, from 7.45am to 12.45pm, or 12.15pm to 5.15pm (with a 15 minute break per shift). Currently preference is given to suitable applicants who are able to assist on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning shifts.
You must be able to meet the following criteria:
- Aged over 15 years – 18 years old
- Must have good availability over term holidays and four weeks availability over the Christmas break.
- Must be a friendly communicator, and be confident to assist visitors with information about our attractions & animals
- Must be punctual and able to follow instruction
- Must be able to walk long distances and stand on your feet during shifts
- High standard of personal presentation
- English speaking
- Courteous manner are required
- Volunteers should understand that they will be exposed to many animals, dust and vegetation. These may cause health concerns for those who suffer allergies
- Able to perform bending, lifting weights up to 10 kg and other moderate physical activities
- Wear the Volunteer uniform and comply with program standards
- Have a strong commitment to punctuality and reliability
- You must have access to email communications
To join this program, you will require the written permission of a parent or guardian.
Teen Volunteer Application Process
To begin, please read the below information before starting the online application process. Once you are familiar with the milestones, please complete the online form.
Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is dedicated to setting each volunteer up to succeed in their role. All volunteer programs require attendance of an information interview, completion of a training program and payment of a program fee. Fees cover printed training materials, and a uniform shirt (and a hat if the role requires working outdoors).
This is a very popular program so places are limited and no guarantee of acceptance will be given. Thank you for understanding that in order to protect both our animals and sanctuary operations, only people who meet the selection criteria and program requirements can be accepted into the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary Teen Volunteer program.
We reserve the right to decline entry to any program and a full refund of the program fee will be issued if this occurs within the first six week period.
Interview & Trial Period
After we receive your online application form, you will be then be contacted by the teen volunteer program coordinator who will advise of vacancy. If so, you will be asked to come down to the sanctuary for an interview where you will be given more information about the requirements of the role and we can assess your suitability.
If you are successful at that interview, arrangements will be made for you to attend a half day Trial shift with the Teen Volunteers. You can find out about the role first hand before you commit to the Teen Volunteer program, and we will view your “people skills” in action to make the final decision if you will be successful in the role and offered a place in the program.
Invitation to Join the Team
You will be officially offered a place in the Teen Volunteer program and contacted to discuss your availability and go onto the roster.
Entry to the Teen Volunteer program will cost $80.00 for the twelve month period, for your training materials, a polo shirt, hat and name badge which are yours to keep. You will need to provide your own suitable footwear and trousers and or shorts. Entry to this volunteering program also provides the benefit of free entry to the sanctuary for you and your family when an active member in the program. You will also receive a certificate of participation when you exit the program.