Start your career in wildlife
Learn to rescue. Learn to identify and start making progress in a unique field of employment in the wildlife industry.
The Aussie Wildlife Course is an introductory course developed to train enthusiastic members of our community to provide emergency care for sick, injured or orphaned native wildlife. It also provides an opportunity to gain more experience and knowledge to help further employment opportunities e.g. vet nursing, zoo keeping or employment in other wildlife industries.
Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary has been caring for sick, injured and orphaned native wildlife for over 50 years. We accept over 8000 animals through our wildlife hospital each year and have an extensive knowledge of the latest rearing, rehabilitation and release techniques.
The course is presented by qualified Zoological staff with years of experience working with native animals and will provide practical sessions and information to guide you through the course. We do our best to ensure that all participants gain the maximum potential out of the program.
Throughout the course the activities set in the study guide provided will need to be completed, as well as a written assessment to be conducted in the eighth week.
• Student study guide
• Additional relevant flyers and information
• Certificate and photo
• WEEK 1 – Legislation, Safety, Conservation and wildlife / human conflict, first aid emergency care, transportation, hygiene, rehabilitation and release procedures, ethics, euthanasia
• WEEK 2 – Identification – mammals, handling / capture and restraint, housing, diets
• WEEK 3 – Identification – birds, handling / capture and restraint, housing, diets
• WEEK 4 – Feeding techniques, hand rearing equipment, General diseases and parasites
• WEEK 5 – Identification – reptiles, handling / capture and restraint, housing, diets
• WEEK 6 – Visit the Wildlife Hospital – general diseases and parasites, record keeping
• WEEK 7 – Amphibians, Bats QLD and revision
• WEEK 8 – Assessment and graduation night
• 5:50pm – 8:30pm (Due to Park activities in week six the course will start at 3.30pm and finish at 6.00pm)
Members save 10%! Use coupon code NTAQ on purchase! Membership will be verified by phone prior and or on the day of participation.